Meet Mark Bottrill

Meet Mark Bottrill

Meet Mark Butrill

By the way, how did you start the hobby?

Although I have been a railroad enthusiast all my life, until 2003 I had no idea about large or American rolling stock. That all changed when I saw a screen saver on the computer of a US Air Force major I met while serving in the military in Kuwait. After talking to my new partner when he gave me a Garden Railways Magazine (February 2003) that had an article on Marty Casada's North Table Creek Railroad, I was immediately hooked and started exploring what would become my new hobby.

What was your first big locomotive?

My first large locomotive was a beautiful blue USA Trains Conrail GP9 that I bought online from Charles Roe along with a matching 40' car. Purchased with little knowledge of US railroads or even building a full-scale model, this locomotive set me on a path that has given me more fun and creativity over the past 20 years than I could have imagined. The Geep continues to perform well and is a Bishopstown unit favorite (my parking buggy).

What is your favorite part of the hobby?

My favorite part is definitely building myself, be it freight cars, locomotives or buildings. My first attempts were rudimentary and unsatisfying, but with constant practice I was able to build a solid model – using the 10 foot rule, of course. This, along with improving my drawing and weathering skills, led me to modify and eventually build my own locomotive. I have to say that as a train enthusiast I also enjoy just watching the trains go by, which is one of the reasons I build mine. My happiest place at the moment is a summer evening at the other end of the park with a decent drink in hand and watching the trains rumble by.

What do you like least?

There is no part of the hobby that I hate more than I think weeding is right around the corner!

What is your biggest success in the modeling world?

A detailed DIY build of the Canadian National GP60, one of my favorite locomotives. I couldn't have done it without the help of another modeler, Shane Stewart (CN Sherwood Park division), who posted a branch of the build I've been following for months, but I'm very proud of the car and the build process has also given me new skills that I moved to another project.

What is your biggest modeling mistake?

I've made a lot of mistakes over the years, but the biggest mistake was using the wrong glue and failing to protect my DIY from the harmful effects of UV rays. Watching the elements destroy the buildings you have so lovingly created is a bitter pill to swallow. I would also like to repeat the mantra of all modelers: "Measure seven times, cut once" - something I have neglected in the past.

What advice would you give to a budding hobbyist?

If you think big changes are about to happen in your life, stop and think about what you want from your hobby and you can focus on your time and hard earned money. The best thing I did early on was set criteria for my trains. I wanted to see the train go by, so I needed a "tail chaser" mockup. I wanted to increase the value of the game, so there would be a lot of travel and operational reasons for the line to exist. I have modeling plans for a specific area and time (Conrail in the 1980s) and that limits the types of stocks and railroad companies I can model. I also wanted the railroad to look a certain way, so I had to carry all my food and make the railroad look well-used. By having a plan, I can tap into my inner worst collector and focus on buying and creating the things I need to support my vision. Twenty years of using this approach has served me well, and I look forward to another 20 years to see how the plan evolves.

Follow the author's Facebook page: facebook.com/GScaleConrailBishopstownSub
Find out more about garden fencing: https://www.trains.com/grw/how-to/large-scale-layouts/modeling-conrail-in-the-uk/

7 most difficult triathlons in the world | The toughest endurance competition you'll ever face

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post