Garden Guy: Soil Amendments, Part 2

Garden Guy: Soil Amendments, Part 2

Today we're going to look at soil amendments to prepare the ground for any gardens and plants. Most plants need good drainage, so let's look at that first.

Irrigation can be provided by adding organic and/or inorganic substances. No matter what additives are used, organics should always be replaced when they break down and wear out over time. Examples of organic additives include compost, fish meal, blood meal, bat guano, cotton meal, corn meal, rotted cotton seeds, and leaf mold. For vegetables, you need to add more, and for dried plants - less.

Inorganic substances do not decompose in a short time. Examples are coarse sand, expanded shale, green sand and other coarse materials such as fine gravel. These materials last longer and require less replacement than organic materials, but are more expensive than homemade compost.

I have found that a combination of organic and organic changes works. I created my beds based on soil testing results for flowers and shrubs that require an average amount of water (not dry, not dry and fruits and vegetables or other above average water requirements).

I dug up the fescue and collected the roots to get rid of the plastic waste growing in the herb garden to let them die and air out. After I removed the plastic, I plowed it with about six inches of developed cow tire and four inches of dead soda wall sand. For beds or beds, the plant will be dry, I reduced the fertilizer. It has served me well for over 15 years. Maintenance includes as much compost as possible, often with added composted cotton.

Many people do not recommend sand because the mixture of sand and clay is food for bricks. True, but I find that mixing compost with sand and adding compost regularly adds enough pore space to keep the soil structure where I want it to be. The compacted, hard soil shows me that I wasn't careful enough when adding organic matter.

I use homemade compost. From self-seeding, trees and shrubs, anything that is sick or rotting for too long, I destroy everything but dead seeds. I'm not interested in fertilizer formulas or lots of scientific facts. I try to mix the ingredients, but since I don't mow, I usually miss the greens. As a result, I sometimes add organic fertilizer and/or garden soil to add nitrogen, bacteria, and other soil life to the pile. I keep it moist and try turning it over once or twice to speed up decomposition.

Knowing the condition of the crops you are planting will help you properly prepare your planting sites.

This article first appeared in Amarillo Globe News: Garden Guy: Soil Improvement Part 2.

Raised Bed Inspiration Part 2! 🌿🌼 // The garden is the answer.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post