4 Essential Garden Jobs I'm Carrying Out Before Winter Arrives

4 Essential Garden Jobs I'm Carrying Out Before Winter Arrives

I don't know if you feel the same way, but winter is approaching much faster than expected. For me, the coldest, darkest days mean staying inside and drinking a cup of tea on the sofa. But this year things will be a little different.

As I mentioned, I moved into a new house a few months ago and with it I had a small garden and a balcony. I've had a lot of fun installing my cute outdoor lighting and making fun DIY projects, but I really don't want the winter weather to put a damper on my progress. With that in mind, I spoke to experts at Yale, who helped me put together a winter garden maintenance checklist to prepare my garden for next spring. Since I found it so helpful, I couldn't wait to share what I learned with you

Before we share, have you seen our roundup of the best garden tools? I'm slowly making progress along the way...although my shed probably won't need much.

1. Protect my plants

While plants may grow in spring and summer, harsh autumn and winter can take their toll. They need protection from snow, storms, and freezing rain, or they can fade quickly. In order not to spoil the summer growth, I will do the following:

Isolate fragile plants

This is the ideal time to transfer plants to a greenhouse or shelter. I don't have one as my garden is small so I wrap mine in wool or bubble wrap. It protects them from wind and rain. Another option is to cover them with a thick layer of compost or gravel, if they are about 10cm deep.

Maintenance of potted plants

Potal plants can get wet in rain. I will make sure all my pots have drainage holes and are raised off the ground. This leaves room for excess water to drain. If plants cannot tolerate frost, they should be brought indoors. Again, a conservatory is ideal, but a shed, garage or conservatory will also work.

2. Start planting in spring/summer.

All you can do is prepare now to have a lush garden full of blooming plants and flowers next year. Here are some tasks I will be working on.

Plant tulip

November is an ideal time to plant tulips as it helps reduce the risk of tulip blight, a fungal disease that affects tulip leaf growth.

Plant new hedges

November is a good time of year to plant new hedges, which is why there are so many bare root hedges in garden centers these days. Prepare the soil well and dig in plenty of compost. I would use a special tree and shrub fertilizer that strengthens trees and shrubs from the inside out.

3. Prune my fruit trees

Fruit trees are safe to prune because they are dormant during the winter. This will contribute to a more stable growth of the plant next year, which means it will bear more fruit.

The two main things I will do are remove any dead or diseased wood and cut out any tangled branches that are rubbing or crossing each other. Different types of fruit trees need to be pruned at different times during the winter, but always consult a professional when in doubt.

4. Prepare and protect my lawn

Fall is the perfect time to prepare your lawn for next year. This mild, wet season is ideal for improving the condition of your lawn and building a strong foundation for the months ahead. My lawn isn't very large, but experts tell me that preparing it for winter is one of the most important fall gardening tasks. These are the steps I will follow

Rake my lawn

The process is simple. Use enough force to blow the grass without tearing it and remove the husks. Walk to one side before turning.

Aerate the lawn

Use a garden fork to drive the nail into the grass, ideally to the full depth of the spine. Move the fork to increase the size of the hole. If you wait until the weather cools down or the grass gets too wet, you can damage your lawn.

Full dressing

Apply a mixture of clay (a type of fertile soil), sand and rotted organic matter to the surface of the lawn. This mixture will fill the voids created by the aeration. This process improves drainage, breaks up thatch and nourishes the grass, which has many benefits.

Stay away from grass

Once your fall lawn care is complete, you need to give your grass time to establish itself over the winter. You should stay off the grass (the same goes for children and pets), especially when it's cold. Allowing your grass to breathe will give it a better chance of surviving the winter intact and intact.

Interested in more? Take a look at the 4 main homes I'll be visiting before winter sets in.

5 winter tips, ideas and tricks for your garden. 5 Winter Gardening Essentials

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post