Is Your Garden A Mess? Dig Out Of A Gardening Slump With 3 Steps

Is Your Garden A Mess? Dig Out Of A Gardening Slump With 3 Steps

It was a hot summer. Maybe you've been diligently tending your yard all summer and it still looks immaculate. Or maybe you're like me and extreme heat combined with a week-long road trip, kids' camp, and widespread illness has left your yard and lawn in complete disarray. My vision, knowledge of the work to be done, and the fact that it was so hot failed me.

So I am writing this for myself to get out of my bad attitude and if you are going through the same situation in late summer and early fall, you can continue reading. Season.

I need guidance and I hope there is an end in sight, which makes me especially happy. That's why I'm taking the “plan, prepare and act” approach to get out of this crisis.

Plan what you want to develop

What should my garden look like this fall?

What we see is great encouragement. While we love the way our yard looks, we see it as a valuable incentive to do the work needed to maintain it.

What plants would I like to see grow?

There may be a new native plant you would like to introduce into your garden. Try it and find out if this is the right time of year to plant.

What foods do I want to eat next autumn/winter?

See the planting schedule on the North Florida Garden Guide website. This is your first time growing food. Start small with just a few things you want to eat.

What's stopping me (other than my attitude)?

Are there physical or functional barriers that need to be considered? Keeping this in mind will help you plan successfully and choose the right garden.

Should I rest for next season?

Peace and quiet is worth seeking! Gardening requires a lot of work, both mental and physical. It's a good idea to listen to yourself and give yourself a season or part break.

Prepare tools and seeds for planting.

Check your tools and mower and make sure they are working properly.

If you think something needs to be repaired or replaced, it's a good time to do so before starting a big project.

Make a list of what to buy at the nursery and what to start from seeds.

It's an economical and fun way to follow the growth cycle from seed to finish. But planting requires little work and you can start growing your garden quickly.

Get plants and seeds from local nurseries and the Leon County Seed Library Program at your local library branch while supplies last. The Seed Library program is held twice a year. For more information, visit the Leroy Collins Leon County Public Library website: leoncountyfl.gov.

Do the work

Do the most important (not the most fun) things first:

Mowing. As the temperature decreases, this operation should not be performed more frequently. Discard perennials that have completed their growth stage.

Repair the garden bed. Invest in gardening gloves and a wide-brimmed hat to protect yourself from the sun. Prepare your garden for fall planting.

Now comes the fun part.

Plant your seeds/plants.

Sow the tubers directly in the garden.

While I do all this, I will redecorate the colorful flowers in the vases by the door so I can enjoy their beauty in other crafts. I think this will help me move forward. I'm thinking of covering some of my garden soil in the fall. We have many heat-tolerant crops, such as buckwheat and peas, that can help the soil and give the gardener a break.

As you plan and prepare your fall garden, remember to take a step back and remember why you are gardening in the first place. Keeping the big picture in mind will help you do the work necessary to have a good gardening experience. Happy fall gardening!

Elizabeth Joy Hooker is a volunteer kindergarten teacher with UF/IFAS Leon County Extension, an equal opportunity agency. If you have questions about gardening, email AskAMasterGardener@ifas.ufl.edu.

This article originally appeared in the Tallahassee Democrat: Three ways to get out of the garden this fall

#I couldn't believe what came out of this #cricket #killer #trend #satisfied #before #insects #weed #Op

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post