Everything You Need To Build A Thriving Vegetable Garden

Everything You Need To Build A Thriving Vegetable Garden

Dotdash Meredith and Yahoo Inc. Some articles may generate commission or income via the links below.

You don't have to get up from the couch until it's time to sit down.

I'm not a professional gardener, but I love it so much that I don't have to buy cucumbers, tomatoes, or hot peppers during the summer months. This year I tried my luck with watermelon. Because I live in Atlanta, I have a long growing season and can often do a second planting before the fall, when I'll also plant lettuce, kale, and other herbs until it gets too cold. While there is enough space in the backyard for a sprawling garden, most of my gardening success can be attributed to the right tools.

I have made many gardening decisions and mistakes over the years and have tried all kinds of pots, both upside down and professionally planted in the ground; I have used them all. One option that never disappoints is my Earthbox system, a versatile landscaping system and focal point for my garden.

Earthbox Garden Collection

Buy on Amazon.com

Shop at Walmart.com

Each Earthbox garden kit includes a two-cubic-foot pot and a three-gallon water tank. The kit includes an aeration screen, a hose filled with water, two reversible mulch caps, one pound of fertilizer, one pound of dolomite, and four rollers. N.B. You must purchase the land and plants separately.

There are many styles of Earthbox, such as the classic I recommend, the entree, or the original vegetable combo. The only difference is the size and shape so you can adapt it to your space.

How does EarthBox work?

Unlike the traditional indoor garden, Earthbox is a self-watering pot. Each element has a part. Ventilation screens allow oxygen to pass through and prevent root rot. The two breathing chambers are filled with soil and water is pumped from the tank to moisten the plants. The irrigation hose allows you to fill the tank without wetting the plants and allows you to water the plants for longer periods. You can buy an automatic watering attachment that connects directly to your Earthbox sprinkler system, but it makes more sense to fill the tanks. If it's not too hot, you can do it for several days between waterings.

I started using EarthBox when I lived in a penthouse in downtown Atlanta. It had no green space, not even a square foot. So I bought one after a friend recommended it to me. As someone who has never grown a successful vegetable before, I had no idea what I was doing, but somehow managed to grow vegetables on my roof, including okra and long beans. To my surprise, Earthbox was easy to use.

I followed the full instructions that came with each set. For the rest, the maintenance was typical of gardening, such as watering and checking the plants for diseases. When I moved to a house with a patio, I was faced with many options, such as planters and raised beds. I opted for wooden raised beds that were installed by a fancy landscaping company, but it just didn't work. The family did not get enough sunlight and the forest was infested with termites. I had to start over. My friend insisted that I go back to Earthbox and I complied.

Today my garden is full of three kinds of cucumbers, eight kinds of tomatoes, tons of herbs, two different melons, and lots of bell peppers. After planting the garden, I now go every other day to check the water and prune any plants with dead leaves. I like to remove debris from the mulch so it doesn't cause disease, and the only sprays I use to control pests and diseases are copper fungicides and neem oil. After heavy storms, I sometimes have to rearrange vines and branches so they have more support when caught in the rain. Otherwise, the Earthbox is fully functional until it's time to replace it.

Price at time of publication: $54.

Modern outdoor flower pots made of lightweight concrete

Buy on Amazon.com

Shop at Target.com

The only persistent issue with the Earthbox is the plastic casing. Not the most aesthetic option if you want to create a lush organic oasis like I did. I wanted the garden to look more organic, but I didn't want to use wood to enclose the clay boxes. It is an expensive service and I have a more modern taste.

Like so many things in life, I turned to Amazon for a solution. My house has gray and black accents, so I chose weather-resistant fiberglass and concrete planters. It looks like concrete, but it is very light and resistant to water and UV rays, so it will last a long time. They gave us a gift over three years ago and they still hold up. It took the two of us to put the pots back in place because they were already full of dirt. Earthbox only sits on the edges, which might annoy some people, but it greatly improves the look of the plastic box by hiding it completely. performance.

Price at time of publication: $118.

Akla Monet designed the Iron Garden pergola.

Buy on Amazon.com

Shop at Target.com

When growing anything that will climb (think indeterminate cucumbers and tomatoes, or plants without a set growing height), support is essential. Earthbox has a private staking system that I have used in the past, but I didn't really like it because it was too flexible and insecure. There are often strong storms and my plants need a lot of support to keep them from falling over. There is nothing sadder than finding your favorite heirloom tomato sitting next to a plant because your point failed.

These wrought iron posts are easy to install between two planters, just like I did. Powder coating ensures that the gray color is protected even in inclement weather. After 2 years they still look good, no rust. If you don't want to grow vegetables all year round, you can grow other vines as a rotation crop, but I like to grow marigolds and other flowers. Just check the hardiness zone to see which plants are best for your area's climate. Etsy is a great source for seedlings because many local farmers sell online and ship quickly if you can't find seedlings in time. It happens to the best of us.

Price at time of publication: $310.

starts

Earthbox has helpful guides to help you understand the platform settings and their customer service is top notch. When you're ready to plant next season, the company sells standard or organic planting kits that contain added compost, dolomite, and mulch. I enlisted the support of our landscaping company to provide slate chips to cover the ground as an accent. Sawdust is a more affordable alternative to sawdust, but it lasts longer and you can order it online for delivery or pickup at Home Depot and Lowe's. I love that I don't have to replace it every season and recharge it when it starts to feel weak.

Even if you don't have the space to create a garden like I did, Earthbox has plenty of options that you can place on your apartment balcony. No matter your preparation, homegrown tomatoes are totally possible.

full adjustment

Acapulco Black Egg Armchairs, $596 each at CB2 (or $300 each).

I knew I wanted these chairs even before my garden was ready. It is part of the Sofa Collection if you want a matching set. I loved how comfortable these steel and plastic chairs are and how easy they are to clean. Because its weave is open, debris and water can get through the seat, so it stays cleaner than most. The black color also hides dirt.

Kate Urban Knit Pouf Ottoman with Storage Desk Set for Patio and Room Decor, $198 at Amazon.

I found this little ottoman and table on Amazon. I wanted to find something solid, modern and cozy. These plastic wicker cushions fit snugly and are the perfect height for the chairs you're used to sitting on. It has a table with a hidden compartment at the bottom where you can store gardening supplies or things you don't want exposed to the elements.

Durable Solar LED Patio Umbrella with LED Light, $70 at Amazon.

We like to sit for cocktails in the evening, so I wanted to add some light to my garden. This inexpensive umbrella with lights underneath did the job. I love that the light is bright and that it is solar powered. There is also an on/off button to prevent the lights from burning out. We love that it has a handle for easy opening and closing.

Related: 12 Best Places To Buy Patio Furniture, According To Design Experts

Our experience:

Jennifer Ziemann is a retired senior food and wine business writer and restaurant critic with a culinary background and over 15 years of food writing experience. His work has been featured in Atlanta Magazine, Bon Appetit, Eater Atlanta, The Kitchen, Local Palette, National Geographic, Southern Living, and Thrillist. He wrote this story using research and personal experience in gardening.

Related: How To Improve Your Home Garden According To A Culinary Gardener

For more information on food and wine, don't forget to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the main article on food and wine.

Going Further: Small Container Gardening // Gardening in Northern Simongiti

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post