Barany In The Garden: Here's The Story About Morning Glories

Barany In The Garden: Here's The Story About Morning Glories

There was a time when my dream garden consisted of a carefully selected collection of unusual plants that fit a certain color scheme, and everything was in its place.

Those who know me well know that this was just wishful thinking.

The truth is, I crashed by accident. I have a garden that consists mostly of unexpected surprises.

In 2018, it was bedtime before Thanksgiving and high wind warnings were posted in the Yakima Valley. I was reading "Anansi and the Talking Melon" to my grandson when halfway through "Anansi and the Talking Melon" we heard a loud "woo". The sound comes from a 90-foot-tall Norway spruce that has been clinging to the twisting branches of a giant wisteria for years when caught like a sail in a strong wind.

A strong gust of wind uprooted the trees.

Guided only by the providence of God, the tree fell so that life and property remained unscathed.

The tree was cut down. Truckloads of soil were brought in to fill the gaps. My husband built a stone wall around a spot about 20 feet by 20 feet where a tree once stood. We had to finish the rest of the story.

I'm late

Finally, this spring, this dry area was paved, creating a patio that could accommodate a table for 10 people.

Who knew that last fall, birds planted sunflower seeds this summer that grew into 10-foot towers of flowers along the southern edge of the patio?

Anyone who sees Carroll's new garden will appreciate my inspired use of sunflowers. I had nothing to do with it. All credit goes to the birds.

For my 70th birthday, close friends gave me a handmade moon bow. For the past two years I have moved this ark back and forth, not with a permanent home in mind. It was installed in April as a permanent entrance to our new patio.

Now I had a gazebo that needed to be covered with something.

In my garden with dahlias I found a seedling of blue morning glory. I can't remember how long ago we planted the first seed, but this annual ipomoea comes back year after year, blown here and there by the wind. Without losing anything, I planted a dozen seedlings at the base of the arch.

The results were so impressive that I planted more plants in pots on either side of the front door. When my grandchildren saw them, they asked me to take the pot to Olympia, where their Ipomoea now grows on the porch rail. Ipomoea is a great introduction to gardening for young children.

Some other plants, such as annual flowering vines, add more romance and splendor to the garden, and morning glory is my favorite. If you have a new landscape without mature trees, it doesn't take long for the vines to fall over the pergola or trellis, making your garden look like it's always been there. Grilled vines form a green screen, creating an oasis of privacy.

I know that some readers consider morning glory a nuisance because of its ability to self-sow for many years. I have to understand. But I can't stop loving them. I grow both in a limited area and in pots. This greatly facilitates their control. If they show up where they are not wanted, and I know they will, they are easy to pull out.

Ipomoea occurs in three closely related species: Ipomoea neale, I. purpurea and I. tricolor With heart-shaped leaves 4 to 6 inches in diameter, the vines can jump more than 10 feet in one season. Funnel-shaped flowers with wide, fluted leaves in a variety of colors, including my favorite shades of blue and purple. Some varieties have fringed or double leaves. They grow from seeds. You won't find these plants in nurseries because their stunted growth makes them a real nightmare.

Imagine them wrapped around a pole with a lamp post or mailbox attached to it; gleefully climbs ropes, trellises, nets or bars; or climbing over a fence. You can even grow them in hanging baskets.

Each flower lives only one day, opening at sunrise and closing at noon. It's not so scary if you can count on fresh flowers tomorrow and every day until frost.

Because you don't want to miss a thing, morning glory may be just what you need to turn a night owl into a lark.

• Carol Barany and her husband John found paradise on 1 1/3 acres west of Franklin Park, where they raised three children and became accomplished gardeners. Contact her at Florabundance14@gmail.com.

Human composting: growing interest in natural burial

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post