Home And Garden

Home And Garden

We've covered a lot in 2022. We've entered the world of professional organizations, solo living, robots, crafts, and hangouts. And that's just in the first six months. Today, like every year, I'm going to go back and pick my favorite drinks for each month to round out our journey through life at home. These are the best moments of the first half.

In January I became more organized. After interviewing planners and their clients for several columns, I kept thinking. "I want the organizer to come to my house. But I was embarrassed to ask. After all, shouldn't I be an expert? Then an organizer whispered a dirty little secret. "Professional organizers hire professional organizers." So I did. .

Lesson: Even if you don't have a lot of stuff, you can still have it in the wrong place. A skilled organizer can improve your space, help you get rid of things you've been secretly wanting to get rid of, and help you see things you've been missing.

In February, I spoke on behalf of the 36 million singles in America who are starting families. Many people thanked me for sharing this post. Don't feel sorry for us. We are happy living alone.

The lesson was learned. cancel the pity party, says social scientist Bella DePaulo, who is single by choice and lives alone. "We're good," he said. "We are happy at home."

In March, we took the craft out of the closet. The pandemic has allowed many hidden artists and craftspeople to follow their inner Marta. As a society, we've gone from the arm twist to the tie shirt twist. Crafts have helped us pass the time in isolation, forget our worries, beautify our homes and bring money to entrepreneurs indeed.

Lesson learned. Whether you pursue your art full-time or just entertain on the weekends, make room in your home. An ideal workspace should have a large, flat desk, lots of storage space, good lighting, an overhead projector, everything you need and ideally a door.

In April we added a new member to the family: Rosie, Rumba. The robot vacuum rolls around the house like a motorized frisbee on wheels. Twice a week, Rosie cleans up after our big dog, Luke, sheds. Some fear that you have an AI connected to your WiFi, with a camera, mapping your house, owning Amazon, and having a deep understanding of how dirty your family is. But for me, living with less fur is worth giving up a little privacy.

The lesson was learned. Today, 53% of American households own a dog and 36% own a cat. That's a lot of flyaway hair. Seven months later, I can say that buying a Roomba was one of the two best home tech investments I made all year. You will read more next week.

In May, I used Mother's Day as an excuse to give out more unsolicited advice than usual. As a mother of two, stepmother of three, adorable five-year-old, and lifestyle journalist, my job is an unsolicited opinion, so I took advantage of this vacation to do just that.

Lesson: As I gave my mom advice about life, love, work, and what to wear, I realized how it applied to home decor, too. Here are two examples.

They can't win if you don't play. The comparison game is cancer. Compete where it matters, in school or sports, but not where it doesn't. Decorate your home for yourself and the people you live with, not to impress others.

Can be worn short. You can wear low, you can wear tight. But you can't carry everything at once. Choose one. In interior design, when everything in the room tells you to look at me, the room loses its appeal.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post