Home With Tess: See What Sticks With This Secret DIY Weapon

Game Of Thrones Weapons Master Shares Secrets Behind The Blades Designs Ew Com

It's worth doing everything yourself (most of the time, anyway). But it also requires a great deal of creativity, and not necessarily in the artistic sense, but more in the "how am I going to solve this problem" sense.

This is a question that comes up again and again as a homeowner. The more projects you do, the more likely you are to ask yourself this question. Because let's face it: DIY requires learning along the way, and not everything requires expert-level installation.

Home with Tess: Decorating our nursery has been a labor of love and I've fully realized my design ideas.

Home with Tess: Removing the bed frame from the slats: is it worth it?

As you explore these creative solutions, you'll realize that it's always helpful to have a few basic items on hand—a DIY kit, if you will. I don't mean the usual "tools", but rather objects you can use to solve annoying problems.

One of my favorite things to use for these casual activities? Double-sided tape, or rather 3M double-sided foam tape.

I realize this might seem a little overwhelming, but hear me out—this little sticky foam roller has endless potential to help with everything from temporary fixes to fixing annoying problems.

My first exposure to double sided tape was in my college dorm when I wanted to hang a sign I made out of cardboard letters, garland, and duct tape. The sign read "Sleep" and through no fault of the double-sided tape, it slowly disintegrated over the course of a year, which seemed like a bad omen because... well, you get the idea.

Despite this, my faith in the group has not been shaken. I've used nails for years to hang things on the walls of rental houses when I couldn't use them, and now I use them for a variety of reasons, even in my own home.

At home with Tess: you did it! Disaster in the warehouse at my house

the story continues

If I have something light that I want to hang on the wall, but I don't know where to put it, I attach plastic staples to it with double-sided tape to see how it will look.

It also helps fill awkward gaps. I have a heavy old mirror hanging from a string. It is completely durable (an experienced installer helped me with this: my father). However, the bottom is a bit petrified on my rough walls and rocks to the touch. My decision? Place a few pieces of duct tape under the two bottom corners of the mirror and voila, the mirror won't wobble anymore.

I also bought a double door cabinet that is in the kitchen. One door remains closed, and the other has nothing to close it. But a few pieces of double-sided tape folded double-sided and inserted between the two doors help keep them closed. Sure, I could buy a latch and attach it to the closet, but why do that if duct tape solves the problem? I have no problem with a quick fix if it works, and it means I don't have to break out the real toolbox.

The "tools" in your handyman's toolbox don't have to be expensive or difficult to use. If you think about what you need to achieve in order to achieve something, the answer may be hidden in front of you. That's the joy of DIY: the joy of finding the answers yourself (and cheap, if you're particularly clever). Because while DIY doesn't always save you money, finding a solution on your own makes you stronger, even if it means gluing a few things together.

Home with Tess: I wanted an English garden. Instead, my patio is a game buffet.

At home with Tess: five saving tips from a pro

This article first appeared in the Akron Beacon Journal: Double-sided tape is the secret weapon in your DIY toolbox.

REO Speedwagon - Take It On The Run (Audio)

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post