A Stroll Through The Garden: Getting Ready For Planting In The Garden

A Stroll Through The Garden: Getting Ready For Planting In The Garden

It's hard to believe that we could seriously consider planting seeds and beds in our gardens. When I think about it, I'm tired of not going out and gardening.

An Amish neighbor plows a vegetable garden. © Eric Larson An Amish neighbor gets ready to plow his yard.

Last week I went to an Amish neighbor's house to buy lettuce and onions, and she asked me if it was too early to start growing tomatoes and peppers in her yard. On May 19 in Jeromesville, I said that you can feel safe, because only 10% of the time in 100 years after this date there is a lockout date. I love my Amish neighbors and their questions. Earlier this week, my daughter asked me a great question that I wish she had asked me some time ago, but she asked it anyway. He wanted me to help them tidy up their garden. I was also asked if we should also grow tomatoes and peppers in the ground.

Some of my Amish friends and my daughter asked me about fertilizers. Before we could produce granular nitrogen fertilizer after World War II, we composted our gardens and applied the compost to the soil. We can go to one of our garden centers and ask for compost or make our own. When our ancestors came here from Europe, Native Americans taught pilgrims how to stuff piles of mud into dead fish to encourage corn to grow. This idea really works. This is called the landing of the three sisters. This will be the theme of the future garden.

Knowing your soil type is one of the most important steps in preparing your garden for planting. © Eric Larson Knowing your soil type is one of the most important steps in preparing your garden for planting.

Know your soil type

As everyone who reads my column already knows, my first recommendation is to look at the bottom. I'm starting to feel better, so it should be easier. This week I had the opportunity to look at the soil above the strawberry orchards I planted many years ago and it was fun. Let's all do something very different this season and keep track of the work we've done, all the bugs and diseases we see, the plants we want to grow, the problems we see and the dates we see, and write it all down. to the album. . or diary. I recommended it to an Amish neighbor and she thought it was a good idea. For example, if you find that a certain insect appears on a certain day, start tending your garden a week before you first see it next year - then you will have a better chance of preventing insect damage. will call will call. . The problem is that this entry is a year late. Better time than now to start this magazine.

Then take the quiz to find out what you have in your garden. Soil structure gives us an idea of ​​how to improve the soil so you can actually start growing vegetables in your garden. Here is a short list of questions to answer: What are the proportions of clay, loam and sand depending on the type of soil? How much organic matter does your soil contain? Are there insects, worms, or microscopic creatures in the soil? What nutrient level are you at in terms of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium? It is also necessary to know the pH of the soil and its level of acidity or alkalinity. Let us remember that this is only the beginning and that we will have to deal with these issues at least every year for several years. This will be the first entry in your garden diary.

Any type of soil can be improved by adding organic matter such as mushroom compost. © Eric Larson Any type of soil can be improved by adding organic matter such as mushroom compost.

Add Nutrients to Support Plant Growth

Once you know what your garden needs, start adding nutrients based on what you want to grow. Over the years, I have added a variety of soils to my gardens, from mushroom compost to leaf mold compost and Incredisol. In the spring, when plants grow fastest, you need more nitrogen and calcium to keep the plants strong. If you lack phosphorus or potassium, add them. In most cases, compost will suffice. There are many types of organic fertilizers. One of my favorites is a moisturizer that brings the soil back to life. This is just the beginning of understanding how to plant a good garden this year.

Walking in the garden - indoors, outdoors or birdwatching - if you have any problems email me at ericlarson546@yahoo.com and I will try to help. My website is ohiohealthyfoodcooperative.org where you can leave a review.

Eric Larson of Jeromesville is an experienced landscaper and gardening enthusiast, and a member of the Ohio Professional Landscapers Association.

This article first appeared in the Mansfield News Journal: Walking in the Garden: Preparing to Plant in the Garden.

VERTICAL GARDEN TIPS AND IDEAS: why and how to add VERTICAL SPACE to your garden on ANY BUDGET

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post