Over The Garden Gate: Do You Have Gardening Questions This Winter?

Over The Garden Gate: Do You Have Gardening Questions This Winter?

If your thoughts turn to gardening this winter, join the club. Even though there hasn't been much snow yet, the urge to get out and start yard work will affect many of us next spring.

As a part-time salesperson at a local farm and greenhouse, I get a lot of questions on various plant-related topics. Although the names asking the questions below are obviously fictitious, the questions are real. You probably have the same question. You can always email the staff if you have any additional questions. It's always a good idea to include photos in your application to give as much information as possible. Now let's get to today's question.

Dear Doug, I take great pride in keeping my yard and deck in top condition year-round. As I look out my kitchen window, my neighbor, who pretends to be a fan of pollinating plants, has a veranda that I can only describe as a mess. You haven't bothered to cut down one of your dying plants, so your messy lawn is really detracting from the overall look (and my view) of your garden. I love pollinators too, but in real life! Signed, ordered.

Dear Teddy, Although your neighbor's yard may seem like a mess, you are really doing the right thing for pollinators. (My pollinator-friendly garden is the same as yours.) Pollinators need plants year-round, and dead plants in late fall and winter provide pollinators with a safe place to hibernate. Some of the pollinators that take advantage of your messy garden include butterflies, moths, bees, flies, and insects. By not mowing your lawn, you are doing Mother Nature a favor by putting off cleaning your lawn until spring. This provides a quiet place for these pollinators to hibernate so they are ready to do their pollination work in the spring.

Hi Doug - My goal is to plant a new garden that will benefit pollinators in the spring My problem is I really don't know where to start. I know pollinators need nectar and pollen during the growing season, but how can I be sure I'm starting off on the right foot? Signature, curious mind wants to know.

Dear researcher, you have a big goal, especially since three-quarters of the world's flowering plants and one-third of our food depend on pollination. A good place to start is Garden Pollinator Certification - Department of Entomology (psu.edu). On this site you will find links to great examples of native plants that benefit pollinators in all three parts of the growing season, as well as advice on how to provide water and shelter and protect the environment. pollinator habitat. If you wish, this site can also provide instructions on how to get your new garden certified pollinator-friendly by Penn State Master Gardeners. Good luck!

Dear Doug, Although I love wildlife and run my yards and courses to encourage wildlife, I really don't like it when deer eat my precious shrubs. Most of my shrubs are classified as "deer resistant", but I find that in mid to late winter, especially when it snows, deer eat some of my deer bushes which they don't touch Never. No suggestions? Sign, eat my mind.

dear eater My garden is certified as a wildlife habitat by the National Wildlife Fund, but that doesn't mean I want deer to eat my plants. When you realize that "deer resistant" does not mean "deer resistant", especially in snowy winter, I feel your pain. I doubt you want to keep traps and other shrubbery in lousy cages. I recommend using deer spray. There are many commercial products on the market that can be effective. Always be sure to follow label directions carefully. They often use natural products that irritate deer but are harmless if applied correctly. For more information on gardening with deer, you can visit Gardening with Deer (psu.edu).

Dear Doug, Last year my smart neighbor told me that Japanese barberry (Barberis thunbergii) was listed as an invasive plant in Pennsylvania and that I should transplant it. Being a keen environmentalist, I cleaned mine up and now have plenty of room to fill this spring. Huh, I noticed you planted Japanese barley bushes in your garden last fall. What a shame ! I loved my barley bush and now I'm excited. He told me his new shave is the carefree variety, so I don't have to worry about invaders spreading through my garden or surroundings. What was the deal? Signed, solid (still).

My dear emphasis, your neighbor is fine. Produced by a North Carolina grower, the Japanese Barberry Carefree line is a Certified Exempt variety, as determined by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. These varieties are sterile, sterile and seedless, eliminating their invasive properties. The good news is that you can now fill your empty space with your favorite Japanese barberry bushes.

Well, readers, that's all for now. The technical information in this article is taken from the Penn State Master Gardener's Guide, the Penn State Extension Fact Sheet, and the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture website (Japanese Barley Information). Remember that most gardening questions can be reliably answered by emailing the Beaver County Master Gardener's Hotline at beavermg@psu.edu. Buy a new pair of gardening gloves. the spring is coming

Doug Kanaan is a master gardener at Pennsylvania Extension in Beaver County.

This article originally appeared in the Beaver County Times. Beyond the Garden Gate. Questions about gardening this winter?

A person arrested for gardening is a surprisingly harmless person

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post