Atlanta Urban Farmer Jamila Norman Teaches The Do's And Don'ts Of Home Food Gardens In HBO Max Series 'Homegrown'

Atlanta Urban Farmer Jamila Norman Teaches The Do's And Don'ts Of Home Food Gardens In HBO Max Series 'Homegrown'

In our interconnected and interconnected lives, self-reliance can seem far-fetched, especially when resources and space are limited. But Atlanta urban farmer Jamila Norman teaches ordinary families how to start a backyard farm, even if she lives in the city. The HBO Max series Homegrown follows him as he educates urban farmers about the dos and don'ts and amazing possibilities of DIY home gardens. Jamila Norman caught up with City Lights host Lois Reitzes via Zoom to talk more about her show and the backyard farming strategies she's discovered.

The most important points of the interview.


Bauer is naturally at ease in front of the camera.


"It wasn't awkward, and I already do it. So I was shocked with this thread. And then you know, the operators, they're very nice people. Everyone at this production company is so nice, so it was a really comfortable place to be," Norman said. "I worked with a camera, but I mean, it was like a YouTube video where I was just talking with friends about food and healthy eating and things like that, I hope no one would find it. And sure enough, they found some footage, so that was it. "Oh well. It's good that he's in front of the camera."

“They just capture my natural process of working with homeowners, talking to them and understanding what they want. So it doesn't mean I have to write a script and play a different character or anything. I can just be myself."

Enjoy seasonal food and "companion planting" tips and tricks;

“You're planting a lot of onions, garlic, so you're going to plant that type of onion with all kinds of cabbage, kale, cabbage, kale, because those types of plants, onions, encourage the spread of types of insects. that want to come and eat your leafy greens. So pest control is a relationship. [Other] beans, corn, tomatoes and basil have to support each other,” Norman explained. the same nutrients or environmental requirements”.

"Growing up over the years and really ... understanding the seasonality of things, you go, 'Oh, that makes sense why would you find these two things together.' Do you understand what I mean? One of my favorite soups is potato and leek soup. And it's like potatoes and leeks growing out of the ground at the same time, and people say, "It's a wonderful combination... Homemade, I mean, it's so much better than store-bought just because it's about taste. You can really try this. So when the time comes and we eat leeks, I make a big pot and we eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner because they are so delicious.

A rich family history of food and agriculture.

“My mother talked a lot about her upbringing and childhood in Jamaica. He was raised by his grandmother for about 13 years of his life before moving to New York to live with his mother. My great grandparents were farmers and grew everything. My great-grandfather raised bulls, my grandmother... made coconut oil, which she sold along with the rest of the vegetables and other things. That's why my mother always talked about this rich history," said Norman. "We lived in Trinidad for a total of two years, that is, in my father's house. So growing up in Trinidad, he was just surrounded by food, just surrounded by freshness and luxury. And so I was always drawn to him, I loved him and I knew in my heart that if I had the space, I would have my own garden.

About Jamila Norman's local organization, Patchwork City Farms.

“Patchwork City Farms is a farm I opened in 2010 in the West End of Southwest Atlanta. Living in the West End, raising my family here, I have seen and experienced the need for fresh food. and I just decided to start a farm. After 14 years, Patchwork is now a five-minute drive from Auckland City and I'm delighted and excited to buy this property," said Norman. "There are so many amazing things about this place. I sell at the local farmers' markets . I sell online where people can come and pick up at the farm and I also do restaurant sales. And throughout its existence, Patchwork City Farms has grown fresh, organic, healthy and culturally relevant produce for the Southwest Atlanta community and the greater Atlanta area.

Jamila Norman is currently starring in Homegrown, which airs on HBO Max. For more information about her work with Patchwork City Farms, visit https://www.patchworkcityfarms.com/.

Atlanta girl becomes the youngest US Department of Agriculture certified farmer in Georgia

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post