Gardening Etcetera: The Magic Of Children In The Garden

Gardening Etcetera: The Magic Of Children In The Garden

Editor's note: This column is a summary of articles published in 2012.

Every summer our grandchildren Jared and Jade enjoy a week-long National Anthem residency at our home five miles northeast of Flagstaff. Hugh, my husband, took a few days off to enjoy the sights. Because I wanted my grandchildren's gardening experience to be a fond memory for them, I stocked up on some essential gardening supplies before they arrived.

Worn last year's gardening gloves or not, I will buy each grandchild a new pair in the brightest neon colors available. Since they may not be around for a few weeks to enjoy the fruits of their labor, buy perennials or shrubs that are already in bloom and ready to plant. In fact, kids enjoy instant gratification just as much as adults. Hats, sunscreen and gardening tools are on this week's list of must-have items

People also read...

The morning after she arrived a year ago, Jade, 6, excitedly announced, "Grandma, I brought special clothes to wear just for gardening!" I replied, "That's great! Now we don't have to worry about your nice clothes getting dirty or torn. In fact, you can change after breakfast. I have a few gardening projects that anyone can help with." Hugh exclaimed, “So Jared, are you ready for another punching bag this year?” “What? Yes!" Jared, 9, disagrees. He vividly remembers the sandbags he and Hugh made in preparation for the Schultz wildfires in the summer of 2010. Laughing, Hugh said, "Don't worry. Sandbags are in place."

Later, when Jed came out of the bedroom out of his pajamas, I noticed that the shirt he was wearing was too short and didn't fit, so I asked, "Jed, where's the garden shirt?" A little annoyed, he explained: "Grandma, this is my kindergarten shirt. Have you seen all the flowers?" He is right. Huge tropical hibiscus flowers adorn the perfect garden shirt.

Jared and Jade By mid-summer, our garden was well established, so I asked them to water the squash, green beans, corn, peppers, and tomatoes. Jared enjoyed digging through the tomato leaves and finding hot, ripe cherry tomatoes in his mouth.

Jade, a famous tomato hater, looks bored, but Jared is still trying to win her heart: "Jade, you have to try!" His sister sums it up in one word: "Disgusting!" Not one to give up easily, Jared continued, "I promise. They'll love it. They're not like store-bought tomatoes." But Jade remained unmoved.

Our grandchildren are now capable of killing their heads off. Over two summers, Jared cut the stems from about 70 Palmer redfish flowers. Last summer I asked Jared to plant dried balsam flowers and he did it in no time.

Jade's task was a bit more complicated. Oppressed meadowsweet flowers resemble their buds, so I explain to Jade how to tell the two apart and she gets to work with her head down. Twenty minutes later he was still working and I didn't want to discourage him so I said "This looks perfect! Let's have lunch." "But I'm not done, Grandma," he replied. "You did a much better job than I," I said. That seemed to convince him, so we went home.

But the next morning when I asked them to brush their teeth, Jade was not in the guest room. I asked Jared, "Where's your sister?" "Out," he replied. "There?" I ask. "I don't know," was his usual reply. I walked out the front door and sure enough, there was Jade. He killed the Colombians!

Six or 86, it doesn't matter. Gardening in Northern Arizona is great!

Cindy Murray is a biologist and Associate Editor of Gardening Etc. and with Cooperative Outreach in Coconono Gardener Arizona. Note: Northern Arizona wildflower seeds are now available for free from Grow Flagstaff! at the Coconino County Extension Office at 2304 N. 3rd St.

40 magical gardens

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post